Rental Property & Dwelling Insurance

Peace of mind for rental properties

If you rent out your property, then you are well aware of the work involved in minimizing risks such as inclement weather, fires, floods, and occupant negligence. Battling the elements is especially important living in Massachusetts.

That’s why WebFirst Insurance, LLC offers rental property & dwelling insurance that will help protect your property against potential damages.

Contact an Agent

What is rental property & dwelling insurance?

Rental property insurance, also sometimes called landlord insurance or dwelling fire insurance, covers the unique risks taken in renting out your home or condo for long periods of time. It can cover property damage, liability costs, and loss of rental income for landlords renting their property. Rental property & dwelling insurance is one of the most important safeguards against the financial risks associated with having tenants live on your property.

Do you need rental property insurance if you have homeowner’s insurance?

The need for rental property insurance depends on how long you intend to lease the property. In most cases, homeowner’s insurance won’t be an adequate substitute for rental property insurance. The presence of tenants in a rental property brings unique risks that homeowner’s insurance policies don’t cover.

What does rental insurance cover?

Dwelling coverage

Just like homeowners insurance, rental property & dwelling insurance covers physical damage to your dwelling, meaning damage to the structure of the home or apartment itself.

Landlord’s personal property

Unlike renter’s insurance, rental property insurance & dwelling insurance does not cover the personal property of tenants inhabiting the property. However, rental property insurance will often include coverage for items left on-site by the landlord.

Liability coverage

Liability coverage will protect you from the legal and medical costs associated with someone being injured on your rental property.

Loss of rent coverage

Provides protection against lost rent payments if the property you rent is uninhabitable due to a covered peril.

Rental property & dwelling insurance add-ons

Rental property under construction

Are you gutting or renovating your rental or building a new dwelling? There’s optional coverage to help protect the structure until it’s ready to be occupied.

Building codes

This coverage will help reimburse the cost of required repairs to keep the building up to state code.

Types of rental property & dwelling insurance policies

Wondering which policy is right for you? Give us a call and an agent will help you figure out which policy caters best to your needs.


DP-1 is the cheapest form with the most basic coverage. DP-1 forms usually only cover named perils, meaning that if a peril, or disaster, is not explicitly named in the form, you will not be reimbursed for the damage.


This form provides slightly broader coverage. The coverage tends to be on a named peril basis, however DP-2 will generally extend to a broader range of perils.


This form, the most expensive, provides the broadest range of coverage. This type of policy will provide extensive peril coverage, protecting against all perils except those explicitly excluded in the policy.

For the best and most extensive coverage against potential lawsuits, damages to your rental property or dwelling, and more, it is recommended to purchase the DP-3 insurance policy. To best protect our customers, WebFirst Insurance writes only DP-3 insurance policies.

What happens when you contact our agents?

You request a quote

You will be asked to provide the basic required information for a quote to one of our insurance agents. This information would be your name, address of the property to be insured, and any liabilities the property has (pets, wood stoves, swimming pool, etc). We will reach out directly for more information once you request a quote.

Verifying coverages

We will verify your needs for your insurance policy. This is so that we can provide you with the best insurance in Massachusetts that caters to your needs.

We write up a quote

Based on the information that you provide to our agents, we will write up a quote for you, and contact you with several differently priced options, to see what fits your budget. We work with many carriers, so finding you the right coverage at the most affordable price is the name of our game.

Signing the contract

If you like the terms and the price, the insurance agent sends over an application. The customer fills out the application, and sends in a down payment on the policy.

Get a quote

WebFirst Insurance, LLC is partnered with many insurance companies, all competing for your business. We will work our hardest to provide you the best insurance plan for your needs. Our licensed agents can save you more than 15%. Let WebFirst Insurance, LLC provide you with competitive insurance quotes and the best rental property insurance in Massachusetts.

To get a quote, click the “Get Started” button below or call us at (800) 957-1455. Our agents are available Monday – Friday from 8:00 am – 4:30 pm.

Terms you should know


the cost of your unit of insurance


a representative of your insurance company who investigates your insurance claim. After investigating the claim, they’ll work with you to determine the amount you’ll be paid


decrease in the value of your property, due to wear and tear or becoming obsolete


a third party service that holds your money until the money is ready to be released

Market value

what your property would sell for in the current market


when a person doesn’t exercise reasonable care in a given situation

Personal property

refers to property such as clothes, furniture, and other items you own that are not buildings


the amount of time for which a policy is written. For rental property insurance, the term is typically 12 months


an event that causes damage or injures someone


the person, or people, occupying your rental property under contract

Rental Property & Dwelling Insurance FAQs

What’s usually not covered by rental property insurance?
  • Maintenance and equipment breakdowns. You’re almost guaranteed to pay out of pocket for any damage done to appliances used for maintenance of the house, such as a dishwasher or furnace.
  • Property you share. If you live in the property that you are renting out, you’re usually not eligible for rental property & dwelling insurance. These types of policies are designed for “non-owner-occupied” properties, which means the owner does not live there.
  • Tenant’s belongings. Landlord insurance generally does not cover your tenant’s personal possessions, such as electronics and clothes, among other things. We recommend that landlords request for their tenants to purchase renter’s insurance, which we also offer as an option for our homeowners insurance policy.