Homeowners Insurance Policy – What’s Covered?

Updated June 28, 2024  |   Published July 24, 2023

Sifting through your homeowners insurance policy can often be confusing. There are lots of things that you could be liable for in the event of an accident on your property. It’s important that you understand the details of your policy, and how much coverage you can expect in the event of a claim. A good guide to follow in ensuring that you have enough coverage for your home is by multiplying the square footage of your home by the local building cost per square foot in your area. Once you determine how much coverage you actually need in your home, you can determine whether your insurance policy has the coverages that you need the most, and that you’re covered up to the amount that you determined.


What’s covered?

For an overview of what we here at WebFirst Insurance cover and don’t cover, let’s look at some of the most common home issues and determine if a standard homeowner’s insurance policy covers it:

Vandalism and Theft: Covered

Your homeowners insurance policy will most likely include coverage for theft and vandalism, but all policies have caps as to what the insurance company can pay out. Valuable items such as jewelry, artwork, or expensive collectibles may exceed limits set by your standard policy, thus requiring additional coverage.

Fire, Smoke, and Lightning: Covered

All standard homeowners insurance policies include coverage against fire and smoke. Such coverages generally include costs for teardown, cleanup, and rebuilding the main structure and any outbuildings. The cost of replacing furniture and possessions inside of the home is also covered. Most policies also include coverage for paying for an alternate dwelling space while repairs are underway, called loss of use coverage.

Explosions: Covered

Explosions are usually covered under a standard homeowner’s insurance policy. This will cover rebuilding costs, as well as cleanup and refurnishing your home.

Windstorm or Hail: Covered

You are covered under a standard homeowner’s policy for any damage caused by wind or hail. Similar to fire or explosions, the coverage will include rebuilding costs, as well as the costs for cleanup and refurnishing of your home.

Damage Done by Aircraft or a Vehicle: Covered

Sometimes, accidents happen outside that are out of your control, but can still do damage to your home. We ensure that these accidents are covered, so in the rare event of it happening, you can rest assured that your home, and it’s surroundings, are covered.



Some things that you can be covered for at an additional expense are: floods, earthquakes, maintenance damage, and sewer backup. You can also purchase add-ons that give you extra protection. A few of these are: swimming pool coverage, equipment breakdown coverage, and water backup. Contact one of our agents if you’d like to add additional coverages to your homeowner’s insurance policy.


For a comprehensive list of our coverages and add-ons, please visit our website. Interested in getting a quote for your home? Contact one of our agents to get your quote started, or visit our website.


Get a Quote