Homeowners Insurance

Coverage for the home you’ve created

Homeowners insurance doesn’t just provide coverage for the place where you reside. It ensures that you can continue to create memories with your family in your home well into the future.

WebFirst Insurance helps protect Massachusetts homeowners from New England weather, accidental damage, and more.

Get a Quote Contact an Agent

What is homeowners insurance?

Homeowners insurance is a contract between you and your insurance company that protects you against financial loss in the event of an accident or disaster involving your home.

Liability protection

Homeowners insurance policies not only provide coverage for your home, but also liability protection, or legal protection, against lawsuits for bodily injury or property damage that you or your family members may cause to other people. This protection also pays for damage caused by your pets.

What does homeowners insurance cover?

Standard homeowners insurance policies insure your house and your belongings in the event of a destructive event. Destructive events covered in a standard homeowners policy include:


Fire or lightning

Protects you against fires inside and outside of the home, as well as damage from lightning striking your property or home.

Windstorm or hail

Coverage for damage to the exterior of your house caused by windstorms or hailstorms.

Accidental Damage


Coverage against damage caused by explosions around the home, both big and small.

Damage caused by aircraft or vehicles

Coverage for damage caused to your property by overhead aircraft or vehicles passing by.


Protection against damage caused by smoke.


Vandalism and theft

Provides coverage for items around your home that have been destroyed or lost as a result of vandalism or a robbery.

Homeowners insurance has many add-ons that can give you extra protection. Add-ons offered by WebFirst include: swimming pool coverage, equipment breakdown coverage, water backup, and sewer backup.

Additional living expenses

In the event of a disaster or accident displacing you from your home, homeowners insurance covers your temporary relocation costs while repairs are underway. Additional living expenses covered include hotel bills, restaurant meals, and other costs above your usual living expenses.

This coverage has limits; the limits can be both time and budget constrained. Once you go over the amount given or the time allotted in your additional living expenses coverage, your costs come out-of-pocket. However, this coverage is separate from the amount available to rebuild or repair your home; you are still covered to repair your home, up to the policy limit.

What happens when you get a quote?

You request a quote

You will be asked to provide basic information to one of our insurance agents, including your name, address of the property to be insured, and any liabilities the property has (pets, wood stoves, swimming pool, etc.). We will reach out directly for more information once you request a quote.

Verifying coverages

We will verify your needs for your insurance policy. This is so that we can provide you with the best insurance that caters to your needs.

We write up a quote

Based on the information that you provide to our agents, we will write up a quote for you, and contact you with several differently priced options to see what fits your budget. We work with many carriers, so finding you the right coverage is the name of our game.

Signing the contract

If you like the terms and the price, we will send over an application and finalize your coverage.

Get a quote

By representing different insurance companies, WebFirst can shop for the right policy for you. To get a quote, click the button below or call us at (800) 957-1455. Our agents are available Monday – Friday from 8:00 am – 4:30 pm.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need homeowners insurance?

The state of Massachusetts does not require homeowners insurance. However, most lenders will require it when you apply for a mortgage. We recommend that you purchase homeowners insurance because your assets will be well protected if they’re insured.

Is homeowners insurance tax deductible?

No, homeowners insurance is not tax deductible.

Does homeowners insurance cover mold?

Yes, our homeowners insurance policies will usually cover mold that is hidden within walls, ceilings, floors, or above the ceilings of your home. The stipulation with this is that the mold must have come from accidental discharge of water, or overflow of water. Homeowners insurance does not cover mold that forms over a longer period from humidity, leaky plumbing, flooding, or damage that occurs from maintenance issues.

Does homeowners insurance cover plumbing?

Homeowners insurance typically covers damages caused by broken plumbing, but not the cost of the repairs itself. For example, if a PVC pipe under your sink breaks, homeowners insurance would pay for any mold damage that is caused, but not for the repair of the PVC pipes themselves.

Is there a fee to cancel my homeowners insurance policy?

There is no fee when cancelling homeowners insurance.

What discounts are available for homeowners insurance?

These discounts vary by carrier.

  • New home credit
  • Age of roof (Most carriers prefer you roof not be more than 20 years old)
  • Non smoker credit (means you are less likely to cause a fire)
  • Home and auto bundle
  • Loyalty discount-companies reward long-term customers with a discount
  • Mature homeowner credit-Usually age 65+
  • Protective device discount-You can save by having devices such as: Fire alarms, smoke detectors, interior sprinkler system. This also includes your security system, you can obtain a better discount if the system reports fire or burglary to police/fire department.
If I file a claim, will my homeowners insurance premium increase?

Yes, your homeowners insurance premium will increase if you file a claim, regardless of whether you use any money from the claim to make repairs to your house.

If my homeowners insurance policy is cancelled, can I send a payment in to have it reinstated?

Insurers may decide to non-renew your policy or decline offering a policy as long as they provide adequate notice and follow the criteria outlined in Massachusetts insurance laws. Non-renewal of a policy, generally, requires the company to provide 45 days written notice to the insured or his/her producer, prior to the policy expiration date.

Once a policy has been in effect for 60 days, under Massachusetts law (M.G.L. c. 175, §99), it can be cancelled during the term of the contract only for the following:

  1. nonpayment of premium;
  2. conviction of a crime which increases hazard under the policy;
  3. fraud or misrepresentation by the insured in obtaining the policy;
  4. willful or reckless acts or omissions by the insured increasing the hazard of damage;
  5. physical changes in the property making property uninsurable; or
  6. a determination by the commissioner that continuation of the policy would violate or place the insurer in violation of the law.

Cancellation of a policy, generally, requires the company to provide 5 days written notice to the insured (10 days written notice for non-payment of premium) and 20 days written notice to lender or mortgage company prior to the cancellation of a policy. An Insurer can cancel your policy for only limited reasons after the policy has been in effect for more than 60 days. You can cancel your policy anytime and for any reason.

Does homeowners insurance cover floods?

There are three major events not covered, but that can be purchased as separate insurance to complement your homeowners policy. These are: floods, earthquakes, and maintenance damage. In order to qualify for flood insurance, you must live in a flood zone. Contact one of our agents to determine if you live in a flood zone.

Terms you should know


the amount of money you pay for your insurance policy


the out-of-pocket expense that you are required to pay before your insurer will cover your claim


the cost of your unit of insurance


a representative of your insurance company who investigates your insurance claim. After investigating the claim, they’ll work with you to determine the amount you’ll be paid


a temporary agreement declaring that the policy is in effect. Used to prove to your lender that you have homeowner’s insurance when it’s not possible to issue a policy immediately


decrease in the value of your home, due to wear and tear or becoming obsolete


a third party service that holds your money until the money is ready to be released

Market value

what your home would sell for in the current market


when a person doesn’t exercise reasonable care in a given situation

Personal property

refers to property such as clothes, furniture, and other items you own that are not buildings


the amount of time for which a policy is written. For homeowner’s insurance, the term is typically 12 months