Landlord Insurance

Rental property & dwelling coverage

If you rent out your property, then you are aware that battling the elements is an important part of living in Massachusetts. That’s why WebFirst Insurance, LLC offers landlord insurance that will help protect your property against potential damage.

Contact an Agent

What is landlord insurance?

Landlord insurance, also sometimes called rental property insurance or dwelling fire insurance, covers the unique risks taken in renting out your home or condo for long periods of time. It can cover property damage, liability costs, and loss of rental income for landlords renting their property. Landlord insurance is one of the most important safeguards against the financial risks associated with having tenants live on your property.

Do you need landlord insurance if you have homeowner’s insurance?

The need for landlord insurance depends on how long you intend to lease the property. In most cases, homeowner’s insurance won’t be an adequate substitute for landlord insurance. The presence of tenants in a rental property brings unique risks that homeowner’s insurance policies don’t cover.

What does landlord insurance cover?

Dwelling coverage

Just like homeowners insurance, landlord insurance covers physical damage to your dwelling, meaning damage to the structure of the home or apartment itself.

Landlord’s personal property

Unlike renter’s insurance, landlord insurance does not cover the personal property of tenants inhabiting the property. However, it will often include coverage for items left on-site by the landlord.

Liability coverage

Liability coverage will protect you from the legal and medical costs associated with someone being injured on your rental property.

Loss of rent coverage

Provides protection against lost rent payments if the property you rent is uninhabitable due to a covered peril.

Landlord insurance add-ons

Rental property under construction

Are you gutting or renovating your rental or building a new dwelling? There’s optional coverage to help protect the structure until it’s ready to be occupied.

Building codes

This coverage will help reimburse the cost of required repairs to keep the building up to state code.

Types of landlord insurance policies

Wondering which policy is right for you? Give us a call and an agent will help you figure out which policy caters the best to your needs.


DP-1 is the cheapest form with the most basic coverage. DP1 forms usually only cover named perils, meaning that if a peril, or disaster, is not explicitly named in the form, you will not be reimbursed for the damage.


This form provides slightly broader coverage. The coverage tends to be on a named peril  basis, however DP-2 will generally extend to a broader range of perils.


This form, the most expensive, provides the broadest range of coverage. This type of policy will provide extensive peril coverage, protecting against all perils except those explicitly excluded in the policy.

For the best and most extensive coverage against potential lawsuits, damages to your rental property or dwelling, and more, it is recommended to purchase the DP-3 insurance policy. To best protect our customers, WebFirst Insurance writes only DP-3 insurance policies.

What happens when you contact an agent?

You request a quote

You will be asked to provide basic information to one of our insurance agents, including your name, the address of the property to be insured, and any liabilities the property has (pets, wood stoves, swimming pool, etc.). We will reach out directly for more information once you request a quote.

Verifying coverages

We will verify your needs for your insurance policy. This is so that we can provide you with the best insurance that caters to your needs.

We will write up a quote

Based on the information that you provide to our agents, we will write up a quote for you, and contact you with several differently priced options to see what fits your budget. We work with many carriers, so finding you the right coverage is the name of our game.

Signing the contract

If you like the terms and price, we will send over an application and finalize your coverages.

Get a quote

WebFirst Insurance works with many insurance companies, to ensure that you get the right coverages for your assets. Let WebFirst provide you with competitive insurance quotes and the best landlord insurance in Massachusetts. To get a quote, click the “Contact an Agent” button below or call us at (800)-957-1455.


Frequently Asked Questions

What’s usually not covered by landlord insurance?
  • Maintenance and equipment breakdowns. You’re almost guaranteed to pay out of pocket for any damage done to appliances used for maintenance of the house, such as a dishwasher or furnace.
  • Property you share. If you live in the property that you are renting out, you’re usually not eligible for rental property & dwelling insurance. These types of policies are designed for “non-owner-occupied” properties, which means the owner does not live there.
  • Tenant’s belongings. Landlord insurance generally does not cover your tenant’s personal possessions, such as electronics and clothes, among other things. We recommend that landlords request for their tenants to purchase renter’s insurance, which we also offer as an option for our homeowners insurance policy.
How can I lower my landlord insurance rates?
  1. Properly maintain your property
  2. Install safety features, such as security cameras, smoke detectors, and alarms
  3. Make renters’ insurance a requirement for your tenants
  4. Increase your policy’s deductible
  5. Pay your premium annually – this gets you a pay-in-full discount
  6. Bundle insurance policies – you can bundle your Auto Insurance or Life Insurance
  7. Don’t pay for coverage you don’t need – we’ll make sure to recommend to you only the coverages that you need. It is your decision to add on coverages above what we recommend to you.