Rental Property & Dwelling Insurance
Peace of mind for rental properties
If you rent out your property then you are well aware of the work involved in minimizing risks such as inclement weather, fire, flood, and occupant negligence. Battling the elements is especially important living in Massachusetts. WebFirst Insurance, LLC offers rental property & dwelling insurance that will help protect your property against potential damages.Contact an Agent
What is rental property & dwelling insurance?
Rental property insurance, also sometimes called landlord insurance or dwelling fire insurance, covers the unique risks taken in renting out your home or condo for long periods of time. It can cover property damage, liability costs, and loss of rental income for landlords renting their property. Rental property & dwelling insurance is one of the most important safeguards against the financial risks associated with having tenants live on your property.
What does rental insurance cover?
1. Dwelling coverage: Just like homeowners insurance, rental property & dwelling insurance covers physical damage to your dwelling, meaning damage to the structure of the home or apartment itself.
2. Coverage for the landlord’s personal property: Unlike renter’s insurance, rental property insurance & dwelling insurance does not cover the personal property of tenants inhabiting the property. However, rental property insurance will often include coverage for items left on-site by the landlord.
3. Liability coverage: Liability coverage will protect you from the legal and medical costs associated with someone being injured on your rental property.
4. Loss of rent coverage: Provides protection against lost rent payments if the property you rent is uninhabitable due to a covered peril.
What’s usually not covered by rental property insurance?
• Maintenance and equipment breakdowns. You’re almost guaranteed to pay out of pocket for any damage done to appliances used for maintenance of the house, such as a dishwasher or furnace.
• Property you share. If you live in the property that you are renting out, you’re usually not eligible for rental property & dwelling insurance. These types of policies are designed for “non-owner-occupied” properties, which means the owner does not live there.
• Tenant’s belongings. Landlord insurance generally does not cover your tenant’s personal possessions, such as electronics and clothes, among other things. We recommend that landlords request for their tenants to purchase renter’s insurance, which we also offer as an option for our homeowners insurance policy.
Types of rental property & dwelling insurance policies
Wondering which policy is right for you? Give us a call and an agent will help you figure out which policy caters best to your needs.
• DP-1: DP-1 is the cheapest form with the most basic coverage. DP-1 forms usually only cover named perils, meaning that if a peril, or disaster, is not explicitly named in the form, you will not be reimbursed for the damage.
• DP-2: This form provides slightly broader coverage. The coverage tends to be on a named peril basis, however DP-2 will generally extend to a broader range of perils.
• DP-3: This form, the most expensive, provides the broadest range of coverage. This type of policy will provide extensive peril coverage, protecting against all perils except those explicitly excluded in the policy.
For the best and most extensive coverage against potential lawsuits, damages to your rental property or dwelling, and more, it is recommended to purchase the DP-3 insurance policy. To best protect our customers, WebFirst Insurance writes only DP-3 insurance policies.
Do you need rental property insurance if you have homeowner’s insurance?
The need for rental property insurance depends on how long you intend to lease the property. In most cases, homeowner’s insurance won’t be an adequate substitute for rental property insurance. The presence of tenants in a rental property brings unique risks that homeowner’s insurance policies don’t cover.
Terms you should know
the cost of your unit of insurance
a representative of your insurance company who investigates your insurance claim. After investigating the claim, they’ll work with you to determine the amount you’ll be paid
decrease in the value of your property, due to wear and tear or becoming obsolete
a third party service that holds your money until the money is ready to be released
what your property would sell for in the current market
when a person doesn’t exercise reasonable care in a given situation
refers to property such as clothes, furniture, and other items you own that are not buildings
the amount of time for which a policy is written. For rental property insurance, the term is typically 12 months
an event that causes damage or injures someone
the person, or people, occupying your rental property under contract
Rental property insurance add-ons
Rental property under construction
Are you gutting or renovating your rental or building a new dwelling? There’s optional coverage to help protect the structure until it’s ready to be occupied.
This coverage will help reimburse the cost of required repairs to keep the building up to state code.
What happens when you call WebFirst Insurance and get a quote?
Here’s a breakdown of the process, from your initial call to purchasing a policy.
You request a quote.
You will be asked to provide the basic required information for a quote to one of our insurance agents. This information would be your name, address of the property to be insured, and any liabilities the property has (pets, wood stoves, swimming pool, etc). We will reach out directly for more information once you request a quote.
We will verify your needs for your insurance policy. This is so that we can provide you with the best insurance in Massachusetts that caters to your needs.
We write up a quote.
Based on the information that you provide to our agents, we will write up a quote for you, and contact you with several differently priced options, to see what fits your budget. We work with many carriers, so finding you the right coverage at the most affordable price is the name of our game.
Signing the contract.
If you like the terms and the price, the insurance agent sends over an application. The customer fills out the application, and sends in a down payment on the policy.
About our rental property & dwelling insurance coverage
WebFirst Insurance, LLC is partnered with many insurance companies, all competing for your business. We will work our hardest to provide you the best insurance plan for your needs. Our licensed agents can save you more than 15%. Let WebFirst Insurance, LLC provide you with competitive insurance quotes and the best rental property insurance in Massachusetts.
Get a Quote
To get a quote on rental property & dwelling insurance, please call us at (800) 957-1455. Our agents are available Monday – Friday from 8:00 am – 4:30 pm.